Advance directives: Make wishes known


What does “quality of life mean to you”? The medical care you choose to receive during a crisis is a personal choice that will be honored by PACE SeniorCare.

The North Carolina Division of Aging and Adult Services defines advance health-care planning as “deciding the kind of care you want at the end of life. While alert competent adults are able to exercise their rights to make health care and financial decisions, problems arise when an individual becomes unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise unable to communicate or make such decisions. Advance health care directives are the legal documents in which you give written instructions about your choices limited, aggressive or palliative care if, in the future, you cannot speak for yourself.”

It is our policy to discuss with you and your family, before you get too sick, what kinds of care you want provided. There are two documents PHSC would like to encourage participants to complete within three months of enrollment in the program. Below are different ways you can declare your wishes.

The MOST and HCPOA forms allow you to convey and document how you want medical decisions to be made in case you cannot speak for yourself.

  • Who you want to make health care decisions for you when you can’t make them.
  • The kind of medical treatment you want or don’t want.
  • What you want your loved ones to know.

Medical Orders For Scope of Treatment (MOST)

The MOST form is a document that discusses more then the resuscitation status. It also covers feeding tubes, antibiotics and comfort measures. This is obtained and signed by your provider, signed by the participant or caregiver and renewed yearly.

Health Care Power of Attorney (HCPOA)

 You may ask someone else to decide your care for you. This is called “health care power of attorney.” The HCPOA request must be in writing. Physicians and family members cannot predict what you will want. It is a good idea to put these wishes in writing and designate a power of attorney to promote them.

Please see your provider, social worker or any SeniorCare staff with questions.